Powered By Blogger
I do whatever I feel on this blog. Whatever comes to mind, whatever piques my interest, I shall, or at least, try to post it here...

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Something that I've mused on


Don't you ever find it strange sometimes how people will tell you things and you believe it? I know I have. There have been plenty of times where I would be told something whimsical, or something fantastic, as if it were a new idiom, and I believed them right away. As I grew older I begun to question everything. Only because have I experienced things to contradict with what those same people have told me. 


One day, a couple of years ago, I was told from someone close that, "Only people who care for you will tell you the truth,". Now, this sounded reasonable. I thought to myself, why, people who hated you would only lie! Now, from a normal standpoint, there should be no room for argument because it makes sense...at least until something happens of course. I had the unpleasantness of experiencing first-hand what this meant.

One day, when I was with my friends, I had a good time. I laughed, I played, I had fun. It was a good day. Then, when my time was to come where I had to part with my friends and then spend time with my significant other, she took me aside and told me some things. "You smell, you look dirty, and you look terrible...it embarrasses me what other people might be thinking of you, and you should be too," Now, this struck me as odd, so I responded, "My friends said nothing to me and they didn't seem bothered by it," only to be told that, "Well you'll only hear the truth from someone who cares...they probably don't tell you anything, but I'm sure that's what they're thinking,".

So now to question the idiom that I've been told countless number of times in the past. If it were true, that only people who loved and cared for me told the truth, then why does it always feel like my loved ones are  insulting me? Now, come and look at semantics with me. Love is something positive, whereas, insults are negative. With these two conflicting tenses of emotions, it's really hard to determine how I'm supposed to feel after I've heard, "the truth". All aside that sometimes, "the truth hurts" why must it always be from people that "care" for me?

You would think that, logically, someone who doesn't care for you much, would be more willing to tell you that you're disgusting, than someone who loves you. It just doesn't make sense.

From what I can gather, is that this idiom is only an excuse for people who want to insult you, so they can use, "the loving yet hurtful truth" as an escape goat so they don't have to feel bad about themselves.

Because I've been insulted a countless number of times it leads me to believe what that person's moral implications are and what their views are on what it is to be a good person. Because what I can see, pushing your moral beliefs on somebody else instead of letting people have their own beliefs is something that is far from being "loving and caring".

So remember...question things that seem questionable, because you'd be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews