Powered By Blogger
I do whatever I feel on this blog. Whatever comes to mind, whatever piques my interest, I shall, or at least, try to post it here...

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dub is shit! It offends my ears!


Ok, so, I assume that by this big picture of a marijuana plant, you must be thinking that I'm going to talk about weed and smoking it...well, that's only a half truth. I want to talk about something else, something a bit more specific. Dub. Dub is what happens when people don't want to start calling it "reggae" anymore, and make it sound "cool" or whatever by calling it something else - "Dub"!.
Alright, let me first say that there's nothing wrong with wanting to smoke weed. I highly advocate using it if you really want to. But my problem is with the music everyone seems to smoke to! Reggae can stay in it's own fucking section in the music store, but I'll be damned when it gets mixed in with my downtempo records too!

Whenever I go to the record store, I always sway to the downtempo section for it's my flavor of music. However, when I begin to do so, I have to sift through 101 "dub" records, before I actually start listening to records that are ACTUALLY downtempo! I actually start feeling physically exhausted when I'm tossing all these dub records aside because it really sounds like such shit! And it feels insulting that anyone would want to mix it in with my downtempo records!

Dub is not downtempo! It is...well...it's weed music! The same guitar is used and the same drum samples are used in every single fucking song! It's no different from the rest! And then there's some Jamaican sounding dude, which I can't understand any-fucking-thing he's saying, and people actually like this shit! People will go out of their way, to buy hundreds upon hundreds of this shit, and then, actually play them live in a club, which makes no sense because a better way to do this, in my opinion, is to make a huge weed cloud of smoke in the audience and just blaze up all evening for 8 hours! There! That's a dub concert!

And then - then! When people start listening to MY music, MY ACTUAL downtempo, they're all like, "Dude! This is such wicked dub! I could totally smoke to this music!" and as soon as I hear that I fly across the room in no less than half a second and punch them in their head and knock all their dreads off their face! You know, when something actually has a beat to it, a nice mellow sound, something that actually took time, and it obviously shows, and now people are comparing it to dub, which, when you listen to it, dub takes no amount of effort AT ALL, at least, comparatively to downtempo, it's such a fucking insult!

People who can make reggae - oops, I'm sorry, "Dub" - are the same kinds of people who smoke weed for 6 hours and push two buttons on a sampler and start "singing" nonsense, words that I can't even comprehend, and then sells it for millions! It seriously baffles me as to how these people make so much money!

Now, if everyone started calling it reggae, not dub, and move it into a separate section of my record store, I'd finally be able to be happy again, and not having to exhaust myself from listening to shit for 3 hours straight!

Or better yet, just rid this shit from the store entirely and move it down to East Hastings where all the stoners are!

Would be good to get rid of this offending shit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews