Powered By Blogger
I do whatever I feel on this blog. Whatever comes to mind, whatever piques my interest, I shall, or at least, try to post it here...

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sands of Destruction - A review (the one that never got accepted to GameFaq's) [what? did I just fart?]


So here I have a copy of Sands of Destruction for the DS. I've heard all the rave from watching youtube videos, and many people talking about it on forums. It looked promising, and from what I've seen, I've had this itch to wanting to play this game. Finally, I get myself my hands on it, and await to embrace the beauty that this game is thought to be...well, let's just say my expectations hit rock bottom. I'll leave the best part of the review for last.


Sound/Music: 3/10
I really loved the voice acting in this game - I honestly did. Although if it weren't for the accompanied, overpowered, and loud background music, I probably would've enjoyed the voice acting a bit more. More often than not, you'll encounter a scene where characters in the game will begin to talk. During this time, the music is blaring, and you'll be forced to turn up the volume on your DS just to understand what the characters are even saying. Obviously, by doing this, the music will become even louder, and then it only becomes a test of patience, whether you can put up with this loud, awful music, just to hear voice acting on a DS game, which you oft don't see happening.

The voice acting is always delayed with the characters actions. You'll begin to experience that a character would say something, and it would end in an ellipsis - about 10 seconds later will the character continue from where he/she left off. On the rare occassion, will a character speak without pause.

The music is less than what qualifies to be good, although still tolerable. The only times where I could think that I liked the music in the game, was the victory jingle at the end of a battle, and also the final boss music.

Gameplay: 1/10
Wow...just wow. Just thinking about how horrible the gameplay was is making me cringe. I have a lot to tear up on this so be prepared.

Let's start off with the dungeons. The first few dungeons you come accross are fairly easy to navigate through, plus you get a nifty map displayed on the top screen. Although after the first few, you're going to be in deep trouble. Dungeons in this game are very, very complex. They're like giant mazes, and you're a rat, trapped in this maze just trying to figure a way out. The map on the top screen is completely useless, except for one dungeon, because you'll watch yourself go into one area, logically assuming that you'll come out straight from the other end, but instead, end up on a completely different part of the map! You'll come into a lot of dead-ends this way, and you'll find yourself backtracking A LOT. Not to mention, that in these dungeons, there are a lot of pitfalls and traps that'll force you back to the begginning of the dungeon, so you can start your trek over! Isn't that lovely? Of course, sometimes, once you reach the end of a dungeon, and beat a boss, you're required to go back through the dungeon again just to get out. And note that I said, "sometimes", because not always are you required to do this, but instead you'll just appear outside the dungeon and in the spot where you're supposed to be going next. Consistent, isn't it?

There are numerous puzzles in these dungeons, which give no hint as to what to do. You'll quickly find out that most of these puzzles are just trial and error, and do not require any logic. Oh, and let's not forget, that if you accidentely mess up on a puzzle, you'll be forced back to the begginning of the dungeon so you can start all over again. Although, this isn't always the case.

Now, the battle system. The one part of this game that I could not stand. If I could rate the battle system seperately in its own category, I'd give it a big 0/10. That's how bad it is.

During the begginning of the game, the battle system is, actually fair, but it gets broken quite quickly. Each character is assigned attacks with both the "X" and "Y" buttons. The "X" button attack allows the character to deliver a single heavy blow, while the "Y" button attack delivers multiple blows. You can also use skills and items, by pressing the "A" button as well. Characters are given a set amount of actions they can perform per turn. The default is 2 actions, so you can decide to attack twice, use skills twice, or only use one item, because using an item takes up the entire turn. At the end of each battle, characters in your active party will gain, what's known as Customization Points, or CP. With these points, you can upgrade the power of your attacks and skills...now this is where the fun begins.

If you upgrade your "Y" button attacks, also known as a "Flurry" attack, you can chain the move to another flurry attack. This means that you can perform two flurry attacks and it will only cost one action to do. You can chain a maximum of 3 flurry attacks at once. Now, in battle, if you hit an enemy, and it's a critical hit, you get another action. Plus, if you gain a big enough combo from your flurry attacks, you get an extra action anyways. So, by the time you are able to chain all three of your flurry attacks, you're set for the rest of the game. That's how easy it is. On top of that, if you exceed 7 or more actions, you get to perform a special attack that deals damage to all enemies on screen.

Because of this flaw, I have beaten bosses in only one or two turns. The game isn't even a challenge anymore.

Let's continue on with the battle system. There will be a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows the order in which characters and enemies go next. This is not true. Never rely on this, because it is always innacurate. You'll find yourself puzzling over the fact why the enemy went next, even though it clearly showed that two of your characters were supposed to go next.

There will be times in boss battles, where the boss will always go next, regardless if there were other people in your party that were supposed to go next, because you performed a special attack. So you should be wary and think carefully if you're going to use a special attack, or if you're going to hold off. All bosses have this special move called "Battle Boost II", why the number 2 at the end I don't know, but allow me to explain what this does. Using "Battle Boost II" allows the boss to take an extra couple of actions to their turn. More often than not, you'll find the boss using this move at the end of their turn repeatedly, until all your party members are dead. Oh, and if you think you can survive their tirade of extra actions to their turn, you'll be happy to find out that bosses get 2 turns to themselves. Be prepared to sit through at least 10 to 20 actions before it's your turn again. On a side note, if the boss deals a critical hit to you, they'll get another action as well.

Finally, something else that's odd, is that your party members will come into battle sometimes, only being able to perform one action per turn. I never really found out why. Though, it shouldn't matter if you got those flurry attacks right?

Controls: 9/10
Nothing really much to say about the controls, besides it was quite decent. Sometimes, during the game, the camera angle will automatically shift for you, which isn't too much of a big deal.

Graphics: 7/10
The cut scenes were beautiful. I really liked the portraits of cities and islands when you selected them on the world map. However, when you go into the city, it's a different deal. The layout and the look of places, as you're traversing them, aren't that bad, really. Could've been better though.

Story: 11/10
By this time, I'm sure that you're wondering why I kept playing a game if I thought it to be so horrible. Well, that's because of the story. The story was really intruiguing, it always had me questioning, 'What's going to happen next?". It had me at the edge of my seat sometimes, because i was getting so involved in the depth of the story.

Basically, there's this kid named, Kyrie, and he soon finds out that he has the power to destroy the world, by turning everything into sand. A girl, named, Morte, seeks Kyrie for she wants his power to end the world that she finds disgusting. They both team up and decide to go on this journey to end the world together. Kyrie doesn't have much thought on ending the world. As long as he can be with Morte, he's happy. Alongside this, there are these group of "animal-people" called Ferals, who enslave humans, are out to destroy Kyrie, for they also know that he holds the power to end the world.

On this journey, Kyrie and Morte meet a lot of friends and allies, who join their cause to end the world.

Even though that's the basic plot of the game, there are a lot of touching, and moving moments to be had. This intricate story had me relating to the characters, and made me feel emotional at times.

Seriously, I cannot explain how much I enjoyed the story...it made me overlook some of the flaws of this game just to see how it all turns out in the end.

Replay Value: 5/10
I give this a score of 5, on the pure principle that I loved the story. Otherwise, I would've given it a 0, or maybe a 1 if I was feeling generous. If they had made the story into a novel, I'd gladly go out and read it than having to sit through the horrors of the game again.

Final verdict: 6/10
If you are willing to overlook some of the things I have explained in my review then I would highly reccommend getting this game, just for the story. Although, if you can't stand broken battle systems, and spending endless hours at a time on a dungeon, then avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews